I’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award. With thanks to Sheila from The Quiet Geordie for the nomination.
Though I vowed to never take part in any trope that suggests I ‘tag‘ other bloggers, I did this one because Sheila has been a huge supporter of Fictionophile over the years. I will NOT be tagging eleven other bloggers, but I will be composing eleven questions and I invite anyone who wants to take part and answer them to do so.
- Say thank you to the person who has nominated you for the Award.
- Answer the 11 questions the person has asked you
- Nominate 11 people
- Ask the people who you have nominated 11 questions
- Do you have a favourite author? Who and why?
Though I have several favourite authors, I’ll have to commit to one for this question so I pick Fredrik Backman. I’ve read all his books and he never disappoints me. His novels reflect human nature in all it’s guises and you experience every emotion while reading them.
- Favourite book this year so far and why?
I have several favourites in different genres. My overall favourite was probably “The Sea Gate” by Jane Johnson. The setting, characters, and plot combined to ensure a great read. The story set during the war years was vividly rendered and well researched. The present day story was also quite compelling, including themes of family secrets, blackmail, and elder abuse. The ending wrapped up the book perfectly. Poignant and hopeful in equal measure.
- Which book would you take to a desert island?
HaHa! I guess it would probably be “Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Brontë.
- What was the last book you bought and have you read it yet?
“None the Wiser” by Rachel Amphlett – and NO, I haven’t read it yet.
- What’s your favourite snack or beverage while you’re reading?
Now my unhealthy eating habits are exposed. LOL Either tea and cookies OR red wine and potato chips.
- Where do you read?
At home I read in a lazy-boy chair in my living room. At the cottage I read out on my deck overlooking the ocean.
- Has a book ever changed your life?
No, I don’t think so – though they all change you in some small way…
- Have you ever seen a movie or TV series that was better than the book?
I don’t know about ‘better’, but the movies made from Dennis Lehane books were extremely well done. I’m thinking “Mystic River” and “Gone, Baby Gone”. Also, I have to mention the movie made from the book “The Remains of the Day” by Kazuo Ishiguro.
- Have you ever bought a book just because you loved the cover?
Yes, I know that makes me shallow, but my love of beautiful covers tempts me far too often…
- Do you give up on books, or do you read them no matter how much you’re not enjoying them?
I seldom, if ever, give up on a book – though IF I find myself ‘skimming’, I know that the book won’t rate highly by me.
- What’s the longest book you’ve read, and how long did it take you to read it?
Gosh, probably “A Traitor to Memory” by Elizabeth George. At just over one thousand pages, it was a long one – though worth the time. I read it quite a while ago (before I started blogging) so I have no idea how long it took to read.
I invite anyone who wants to participate in this “Liebster Award” tagging meme to answer the following eleven questions:
- Where do you get most of your reading recommendations from? Other bloggers, social media, personal friends, NetGalley, Goodreads?
- Do you mainly read fiction or non-fiction?
- What is your favourite crime novel read so far this year?
- What is your overall favourite read so far this year?
- Do you mainly stick to one genre, or do you like to try them all?
- How important is the book’s setting in determining your choice to read it?
- Have you read a wonderful book that not many people know about?
- If you meet up with an author for lunch, who would you choose?
- Do you need absolute quiet when you read, or do you listen to music?
- If you had your pick, would you read inside or outdoors?
- How many books do you think you read in a year, and how do you keep track of your reading?
Have fun with these questions and if you decide to answer them by participating in the Liebster Award, be sure to let me know as I’d love to see your answers.